Life... Health... Reviews...

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The diagnosis

My health and weight loss journal

If I remember correctly I told you that my primary care doctor referred me to a rheumatologist. I went to him on Friday (wonderful doctor, by the way, very thorough) and he said I have two things going on that are making me feel so terrible all the time.

1) Fibromyalgia
2) Weak immune system

He says there's a very fine line between the two in regards to my symptoms, but the good news is both are treatable with meds. But, here's the dilemma, I have to wean the baby.

You probably know that I only nurse her during the night and I was doing that until she started sleeping all night, but I am so anxious to start the medication that I've been trying to wean her now (and get her to sleep all night). The doctor asked me if I wanted to wean her to start the process and I said yes. Then he made me promise to not start taking the meds he prescribed until she was weaned. No problem. So, he said he would see me in two months and that should be enough time to wean the baby and get the meds in my system to see if/how they work.

The bigger dilemma is actually weaning her. I've tried a few nights. We've only had one night of successfully sleeping from about 10:30 or so until about 6. No problem that night. Even though I didn't go to bed until about 1 a.m.; it wasn't so bad getting up at 6 to heat up a bottle and start my day.

The night after that she went to sleep too early -- around 9 and got up around 3:30. She fussed and cried. My breasts were so sore from not nursing her the night before and she wouldn't be still, had no interest in being soothed so I broke down after about an hour and nursed her. I didn't get back to sleep until about 5 a.m.

Last night was a bust. She woke up around 3 even though she went to bed at 10. I didn't get her out of the bassinet right away and she fell back to sleep after a little while so I thought I was home free. I dozed back off and was surprised to hear a little yell and crying. I get her out of the bassinet and I break down again and nurse her after about 30 minutes of wrestling. Even after nursing her she still didn't go back to sleep. She cried for the longest time. So at about 5 I get up and heat up a bottle (while I put in a load of laundry). She drank the bottle and is still awake... it's 6:17 (and she's back to wrestling!).

So... I don't know how I'm going to get her weaned -- and sleeping all night -- by myself. When my husband and I were together, and I wanted to wean, he would do the nighttime duty. She is nothing like the other children so none of the tricks are working with her. Not getting sleep just exasperates how I feel...

Any advice?

Oh, and as far as weight loss goes, I haven't been doing well with exercising and moving, but I've been eating pretty good. About six small meals a day -- fruits and veggies included. I guess it would do me some good to cut out the daily dessert, but - hey - I think I deserve it! :-)
Blogger Template Created by pipdig